Monday, May 02, 2005

I think I'm going straight to hell

Gawd how I HATE Mothers Day!! No really... it's a great sentiment, it really is. But I just got back from the card store looking for the perfect cards for mom, mom-in-law, grandmother.. and I feel like a total freak. I mean they are all so flowery and gushy and maudlin. I'm not that kind of person. Really. I'm not! Don't get me wrong, I love my mom. But these cards absolutely ooze sweet sugary sentiments that I would NEVER say. Hell, I'd never even think them! So then you go to the other extreme - which is "Have a nice day" which is too cold and impersonal. I kept picking up cards and tossing them back. And then I feel guilty because as soon as I read the first line about how grateful, how lucky, how wonderful, I just want to gag!!! Gawd, I hate Mother's Day!!!

So yes, I found a card. No, it's not too sweet, but not too impersonal. But it's definitely NOT me. I think that having mom here with me for the past ten years has taken it's toll on any sentimental view that I ever had of my mom. I must be menopausal or something because lately she is driving me nuts!!!

Oh well, the card is bought. We're going out for dinner Sunday. And I think I'm gonna tell my kids that when they grow up and move away, a phone call is all that's necessary to wish me "Happy Mothers Day".

The guilt really SUCKS!!!

Sorry - no pictures or words lately. I'll get back into, I promise.

BTW - where the hell have you been Deb?? Find the password yet? LOL

2 comments:

Terri said...

Hell is gonna be one wild place when we show up LOL.

I miss ya.... sorry you're having a tough time too. I've been in a miserable mood lately. Problem is that I feel guilty about it because I have nothing to be miserable about! That's one of the greatest gifts my mom gave me - GUILT!! Oh well, I still love her. Just not mushy love like all those damned cards grrrr...

You and I better cheer up - this is becoming a damned dreary place.

huggggs and empathy :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Terri!

hope you remember me, ShadoRydr, from old Cafe1. I found may way back to you and have been catching up on your blog when I should be working :)

Happy mothers day to you! I'll drop you an email from my home address when I get there so I can get signed up on your blog if you'll have me.

And don't let the stress of finding the right card get to you. I think we all have the same problems. I don't know who they find to work at these card companies, 'cause no one I know in real life talks like that.